How to Sell Books to Gift Shops and Specialty Retailers
One advantage of marketing a book to gift and specialty stores is that there is usually little competition from other books. And retailers have the opportunity to cross-promote your book with related items.
Look for retailers that are a good fit for your particular book and don't be afraid to think outside the box. Here are a few examples of places to market a book:
- Cookbooks in kitchen shops, gift shops, specialty food stores, and upscale grocery stores
- Children's books in toy stores and the gift shops of children's and science museums
- Gardening books at gardening centers, gift shops, and botanical gardens
- Chic lit and gift books in clothing boutiques
- Travel guides and regional titles in hotel gift shops, tourist attractions, RV parks, gift shops, chambers of commerce and visitor centers.
- Health, diet, and exercise books in fitness centers, pharmacies, and beauty salons
- Inspirational and gift books in hospital gift shops
- Golfing books in golf pro shops and sporting goods stores
- Home decorating books in gift shops and home décor stores
Fine out more Read the Full Article for topics such as:
- Selling to Hospital Gift Shops
- Locating Gift and Specialty Retailers
- Contacting Retailers
- Displays and Promotions
- Setting Discounts and Sales Terms
Source: Dana Smith, book marketing blog
Dana Lynn Smith is a book marketing coach and author of the Savvy Book Marketer Guides. For more tips, visit her book marketing blog and get a copy of the Top Book Marketing Tips ebook when you sign up for her free book marketing newsletter.